Wednesday 22 August 2012

Hope Grows

Hi all! As you may remember, I decided a while back to have a go at Amy's Texting While Sewing competition.


After lots of umming and ahhing, a few mistakes and some learning, I can finally show you the result. Ta-da!


I'm calling this block 'Hope Grows'. Yes, it is a little cheesy. My apologies. In my head there's a story that goes with it - a girl who has found a new passion in gardening, has been reading all the books and as her first plant grows, so she flourishes and is filled with hope.

Enough of the cheesy rambling, get back to the sewing? OK then.

Most of the elements of this block were pretty simple. The plant pot is a tumbler, like the ones I used in this quilt, and the rest is mostly rectangles. Designing a realistic but easy-to-make shoot was really tricky (much agonising and asking the hubby for inspiration was involved) but eventually some simple HSTs (half square triangles) did the job.


Even the kindest readers will have noticed I have some issues with creasing. The cream background fabric is some really cheap, thin stuff, which definitely doesn't help! If anyone has some tips to avoid this in future they would be much appreciated. I hope that by the time I've quilted the block and turned it into a cushion (the current plan) no-one will notice :)


Above is my 'being creative with text fabric' attempt - I used some text to represent the vertical lines of pages in a backwards book. I really like the effect :) Below you can see that I added some text corners as well, to get into the spirit of things.


So there we go, my first attempt at a picture block! I really love the result. My favourite thing about it is the colours - pink and orange is one of my favourite colour combos, and the FMF green goes really well with these ones. The tiny little border was a pain to piece, but is so cute! I'm looking forward to making it into a cushion, even though it won't even slightly match our home. It matches me though, so that must be OK, right?


I hope you like it :)

10 comments:

  1. That is a very pretty first attempt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Think it might be a while before I try something like this again, far more intricate than I'm used to!

      Delete
  2. super cute, Emma and you're right abou the colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice block, Emma! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marit! Didn't make the top 10, sad times, but had fun which was the main point :)

      Delete
  4. I think that is really cute and clever. I love your plant stake that says "Hope." So cute! Did you use steam when you pressed? Sometimes, when I use steam, I get that creasing....maybe because some of the fabric shrinks. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I think I didn't use steam at first (didn't want to burn my fingers on ironing the small, intricate seams) but probably did later. I'll bear that in mind, thanks for the thought.

      Delete