Monday 14 January 2013

Christmas in January

Hi everyone :) This new year I've started an exciting new project - I'm making my first quilt to keep! We haven't decided on colours/decor for our new flat yet, so I'm making one that will go with anything - a Christmas quilt.


My grandparents very kindly got me a couple of Flurry charm packs for my birthday - I love that line, and most of Kate Spain's designs. I particularly love this quilt. Isn't it gorgeous? Anyway, I'm going to be making a Charming Stars quilt. At 1.7ish metres square this'll be the biggest quilt I'll have made by a long way. Already rather scared about trying to baste and quilt it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The pattern needs 3 charm packs and I only have 2 so I've been picking out fabrics to go with them. It's gone really well - 2 new fabrics my inlaws gave me for Christmas, 2 solids I already had and one fabric I'd been eyeing up which was on sale:

Pearl bracelets - swoon!

I just need to pick up a green solid and I'll be good to go :)

The first step in making this quilt is to cut out 128 2 7/8"white squares - yikes. So far I've cut out 45 which actually didn't take too long! Looking forward to sorting out the layout and getting sewing soon.

Ooh and something else to show you. Do you remember my 'photography studio' in my old flat:


Well, my new flat has a perfect ready-made lightbox! Very handy.


I'll be linking up to Work in Progress Wednesday when it comes around :)

3 comments:

  1. This is going to be a lovely quilt and you're so lucky to have a good spot to take photos inside your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love Charming Stars. :) When you sew the corners to make the "point" blocks, you can sew an additional seam a half inch away. Then, when you cut 1/4" in between those two lines, you have leftover HST blocks with all of your leftovers! You could make some matching pillows. :)

    Also, I love your supplemental fabric choices. They go so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flurry is so fresh and fun!

    ReplyDelete